Summer is approaching, which means, time for fun, which means time to spend countless hours in the car. Between swim lessons, road trips to see family, and day trips to the beach, you’re probably going to rack up a lot of family time hours in your vehicle. What happens if something goes wrong? Is your car prepared for the worst case scenario?
Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. We’ve put together a list of tips and items to have ready in your car in case any season throws you a curve ball.
Car Safety Tips:
- Water- Always have drinking water in your car. Store a container of water that is not plastic somewhere in your trunk. You never know where you might get stranded and how long you’re going to be there.
- Knife- Keep a high quality knife somewhere safe and locked away, like in a glove compartment. A knife can help cut through clothing, cut open food containers, and more.
- First Aid Kit- This one might seem obvious, but you would be surprised how many people don’t have this in their car.
- Matches and Lighters- You may find yourself in a situation where you’ll need to start a fire for warmth or to cook food.
- Duct Tape- The list of uses for duct tape is endless, especially in an emergency.
- Blanket/Sleeping Bag- Maybe a few if you have a family
- Wipes/Toilet Paper
- List of important phone numbers- Cell phones die, chargers don’t work, and most of us don’t memorize important phone numbers anymore.
- Cash- It’s always good to have a stash of cash somewhere hidden in your car. You never know when it might get you out of a jam. Plus if you forget cash for a bridge toll, you’re covered!
- Jumper cables
- Spare tires
- Jack for tires
- Battery powered radio and extra batteries
- Snacks that can’t go bad
There are many more items that could be added to this list for extra safety, but these are the essentials. Stay safe out there this summer!